Tuesday, June 2, 2009

The second day of the sixth month of the year of the OP


Today's entry is for my buddy EC. The photograph is of a couple of Philipine Ida Lueconoe butterflies.

I'm back from the dark side!

We spent the week-end last in Gainsville, FL at a wedding ( and you all thought I only went to funerals at my age.....Silly people). Visited the Wild Butterfly Rainforest at the home of the Florida Gators. For those of you in western Pennsylvania, that's the University of Florida.
And you thought that they were only about football and girls softball. They have the largest collection of butterflies in the world there. Check out the website.

http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/butterflies/

I went to the online quotes for stocks today......Looking for my General Motors stock and got nothing in the way of a quote. Wonder why? Guess I will have to go to Government Motors instead. Oh yeah, that's where it is.

How come when Ford was trading down around $1.50 or $2.00 and GM was at around 2.60, we (the US public) ended up buying 60-70% of a stock that subsequently went to zero (Gov. Motors) and not a share of Ford which is now around $6.15.

So the Govt. gave us a $2.60 loss on GM while the free market gave us a $4.00 plus profit on Ford. What a bunch of brilliant people we have in Washington.

So lets say that, just for fun, the public supported GM to the tune of $25,000,000,000 at say $2.00 per share on average. If my math is correct that equals $12,500,000,000 shares (which of course don't exist). That means the loss on GM was fifty billion big ones. Note Billion!

Gee, if I have invested that money in Ford stock...............I would have a profit of $50,000,000,000 instead of a loss. Well, that's just the math. Incidentally if anyone out there took my advice and actually bought any Ford (why would you do that), I would get out of half of it now.
I actually had a request for photographs from a new gift shop today. Economy's getting better, hold on to yer GM!

FICTION AND FACT FROM SKIP'S ALMANAC OF GARBAGE KNOWLEDGE

See above.

1 comment:

  1. Ahhhh - beautiful butterflies - beautiful music. Thanks so much my good friend.

    Now for the GM/Political stuff - what the..........................

    ReplyDelete