Tuesday, October 18, 2011

The 18th day of the 10th month of Emergence

SUNDAY COLORS

Sunday was the first time I have ever hit the mountains at or near the peak of the fall color change.  Well, they were I guess within a couple of weeks of peak. 


Remember to doubled click the images for full screen and a better resolution.

We started out in Asheville, to do of course, a little shopping and lunch at the Biltmore Village.  Actually a very nice place where they have all the big name stores so one could spend a week, but we only had a few hours.



The next step was on to the Blue Ridge Parkway, heading north and thinking that the higher and farther north we went, the more color.  This was one of those vacation type trips and hence the opportunities for photographing was more limited to what the good Lord gave us.  Traffic on the parkway was heavy and pulling off to the side of the road necessarily involved taking one's life into one's hands.  But I got a few shots.  No matter where you go, there is always somebody who wants to do something out of the ordinary (borderline stupid maybe).  At one of the turnoffs, everybody was looking out across the mountains at the longer view.  I of course turned around, rebel that I am, to look at the mountain behind everyone.  And here comes this gal climbing down an almost vertical cliff.  I figured at least I would get some shots of ambulance lights flashing, but she made it.



Now, when one gets on the Blue Ridge, one must be very aware of the level of gasoline in your vehicle's tank.  I thought I had enough, but by the time we got to Mt. Michell I had to ask someone where the nearest station was.  Fifteen miles, which was OK because I wasn't that bad.  A little mountain convenience store with one pump that worked and another that did not.  Also prices were a half buck higher than in the other four surrounding states.  Oh well, I guess that's what all those jerks in New York are demonstrating against.  The evil capitalist.  In this case a couple of true mountain men.  "How do I get back to Asheville?  Cain't rightly get thar from here."  Seems there was a motorcycle accident on top of the mountain and they had closed the road since we left the parkway. 



As you can see from the sign, Mt. Michell is way up there.  In fact the mountain goat and sheep in Alaska have absolutely nothing to fear from me.  By the time I got to the top of Mitchell, I was gasping for oxygen.  Never had that feeling before but I can tell you it's real when the air gets thin. 



Sheri is about half way to the top taking a picture of me while I take one of her.  Not very clear, but the point is look how steep the walk is.  The guy on the right is at a 20 degree list just to keep his momentum going.  At this point we are almost at the top and along comes a guy in an artic cat, giving people rides.  Now he shows up.  Murphy was a true optimist!



I guess it wouldn't be worth it all unless I had a shot from the top of Mt. Mitchell.  I mean, why do we climb a mountain in the first place.  Well, of course to see what's on the other side!  Duh!

No comments:

Post a Comment