Saturday, November 12, 2011

The 12th day of the eleventh month of Emergence

Today is not going to be an easy day!

Not only am I into the fourth day of my semi annual six month head cold, but the Doc. has me drugged up to the point that I am likely to say stupid things.............Again.

There will be no nice photographs here today, just pontificating on my part.  For you see I must watch my Alma Mater play a football game.  It will be difficult.  Some 46 years ago, I saw Joe Paterno take over the coaching role from Rip Engle at Penn State.  No, I was there and watched.  That will give you some idea of how old I am.  Of course I have weathered much better than Joe and and am much more handsome at this point.

However!

No longer will I have the opportunity to say to my Grandson...."Ben, now that is a man you can model yourself after".  My idol, my icon, had feet of clay.  Or at least is being given feet of clay by the media.  Either way it does not matter a whit.  I am devastated by the very thought of all those little boys, my grandson's age, who had to endure what turned out to be the attentions of a monster.  I am devastated that my idol, my icon did not take more appropriate steps when first informed.  But we may not know all the details yet and we all know the devil is in the details.

For the monster, you face a sure and probably painful death.  Prisoners in "The System" do not look fondly at child molesters and you are likely to become someones bitch only till he gets close enough to put a knife in you.  For my idol, my icon..........I only wish you could have left with some dignity.  You earned that right, but alas squandered it.

This game today with Nebraska will get played.  I implore the students and other fans to act like the adults you are.

 Players, well you have taken some four plus years to get to this point.  Some of you have aspirations for the pros.  Others will take their educations elsewhere.  You don't deserve all this mess and had nothing to do with it, but you do deserve to play this game with the same skill and verve as if nothing else had happened.  I wish you all the luck in the world and will be cheering for you individually.

 Students, be rabid for your team but be sensible.  By the way is the "Skeller" still there?  Rioting has no place at my Alma Mater because,

 "We Are"!


No comments:

Post a Comment