Monday, March 9, 2009

The ninth day of the third month of the OP


Well, we had spring on this past Friday from noon till about four in the afternoon. Saturday in the seventies and now in the mid eighties until this coming Thursday, when it is supposed to cool down again. At least the snow and ice are still on Lake Winnepasaukee in New Hampshire. I know that makes absolutely no sense what-so-ever, but it's important to me.

The image of the day is the new "Doors of Charleston, SC" print. Check it out on the website.

FICTION AND FACT FROM SKIP'S ALMANAC OF GARBAGE KNOWLEDGE

As a photographer we have to make moral decisions from time to time about the images we make. And sometimes those decisions must be made instantly or quicker. Often those decisions can make the difference between a good shot and a so-so one. Thanks to my North Wildwood friend for contributing this item which she, for some unknown reason, thought was just too appropriate for me. Thanks, Ronnie!

THE SITUATION:

I am in Ireland, Dublin to be specific. There is chaos all around me caused by a hurricane with severe flooding. This is a flood of biblical proportions. I'm a photo-journalist working for an Irish Daily Mail, and am caught in the middle of this epic disaster. The situation is nearly hopeless. I am trying to shoot career-making photos. There are houses and people swirling around me, some disappearing into the water. Nature is unleashing all of its destructive fury.

THE TEST:

Suddenly, I see a man in the water. He is fighting for his life, trying not to be taken down with the debris. I move closer... Somehow, the man looks familiar...I suddenly realize who it is... It's Brian Cowen! The raging waters are about to take him under forever. I have two options: I can save the life of Brian Cowen, or I can shoot a dramatic Pulitzer Prize winning photo, documenting the death of one of the country's most powerful men!

THE QUESTION:

Here's the question, do I select high contrast color film, or should I go with the classic simplicity of black and white?

THE ANSWER:

I need to have a pint to conjure up my professional decision. Hang in there Brian!

No comments:

Post a Comment