Monday, March 2, 2009

Second day of the third month of the year of the OP


NO SNOW!

I guess my friends up north have gotten enough of that last night and today but we had none. The big southern storm circled around Columbia and there was great glee amongst the school kids to the north, west, and even the southwest of us. Rain to the East and it just circled us for about 12 hours. I'd go to the door every hour or so just to see if we were getting any, but alas to no avail.

It is getting time to go south to visit my favorite rookery. For you city dwellers, that is a place where birds gather to mate, build nests, and have young. The photo today is of one of the most amazing places I have found to photograph. It has been a tourist trap for over a hundred years in St. Augustine, Florida and is the "Alligator Farm". I have actually had young tri-colored herons step on the lens of the camera which I had resting on the railing. You can get that close to them!

http://www.alligatorfarm.us/

As you can see people can virtually interact with the birds and thankfully not the gators which swim below waiting for an errant chick to drop out of the many nests. Can be rather gruesome when that happens. But that is just the way the people act, and not the gators. Much screaming and pleading for someone to interfere with nature. But, everybody gotta eat. I understand that the great egrets have arrived and some of the wood storks. Nest building is going on and of course all kinds of bird frivolity. I hope to make a trip down there around the end of May.

FICTION AND FACT FROM SKIP'S ALMANAC OF GARBAGE KNOWLEDGE

"If you've worn shorts and a parka at the same time, you may live in Alabama." Thank you Jeff Foxworthy

No comments:

Post a Comment