Thursday, September 3, 2009

The third day of the ninth month of the year of the Owl Pellett


EVERYTHING IS RELATIVE


I spent the bulk of the day doing yard work, which meant alone with time to think and that is always not good.

Introspection leads to all kinds of weird links between the bellums of my brain, which seem to be dying at an alarming rate but that too is another story.


Sarah- and Anti- used to date quite a bit, but now argue constantly, which happens I guess with allot of old relationships. Oh well I digress!

We spend a ton of money and effort on maintaining our properties....pouring dollar after dollar into fertilizer to grow grass.... grass requires water to make it grow.......grass needs to be cut......grass produces clippings that need to be disposed of. Please be aware of the fact that I am referring to the green stuff in your front lawn and not the stuff some people smoke!

We purchase nice little posies that need to be planted......in the right position.....then transplanted because they "don't like where we put them in the first place"...... then removed because the store sold us crummy product in the first, first place.

OK here's an alternative.....Green concrete and plastic flowers. They do sell that stuff! Looks like crap but it works..............Sigh! Just got to remember not to water the plastic flowers.

Another alternative. Like my friend who lives across the street from the guy with the 4 million dollar mansion in Delaware. His house is on cinder blocks. Has a 4x6 treated wood front porch....a little fallen down but holds his chair which he can tilt back to drink his beer and put his feet up. So what if one of the cinder blocks is broken and partially replaced with a smaller brick. It allows his kid to run his match box cars inside the house from the bedroom all the way through to the kitchen to the end of the living room. Now that's living! And the dog under the porch only moves when it's time to hunt racoons.

But, you know what. It was fun today and the place looks nice. I am proud of it. I am able to attract a certain amount of wildlife to photograph without expense, like the mocking bird attached today. A photo which was sold last year to a magazine. I suppose if I lived in West Virginia I could photograph black bear cubs in the back yard, or whales off Cape Cod, gulls off New Jersey, deer in Pennsylvania and Tennessee.

But for now, I just cut my grass and ruminate.











No comments:

Post a Comment