Friday, June 15, 2012

The 15th of the 6th

Things you see and generally never do!

South of the Border

"Can we stop Dad?"

"NO, and we're not there yet!"

"Look Sombreros!"
This is an iconic spot along the "Blue Hair Highway".  That's Interstate 95 North and South along the East Coast.  Been on it most of my life for one reason or another.  Maybe it was a short jog through Philadelphia or a longer one up to Mystic.  Or the long haul to the southern states.  At any rate I never stopped along that ribbon of concrete and asphalt to take a look.  Too many miles to make and too little time!  There have been books written and photo journals made of some of the famous highways in the country.  Rt. 66 and parts of  Rt. 1 are only two roads that come to mind.  A book written by William Least Heat-Moon entitled "Blue Highways",  is a really great read.


This thing has been here for at least sixty years that I know of. 


Actually it started out as a Beer stand in the 1950's, so my recollection is not too far off.  When travelling with my parents in the sixties and seventies to and from Florida vacations, this was one of the places the kids always wanted to stop and the parents said .... "Next year".  Well, there never was a next year, but last week I did do a drive by.  Bought a soda at the convenience store which had the old wooden shelves and look of the fifties.

Next time I am going to take the time. The only comparable roadside nostalgia I can think of are the old "Burma Shave" signs.  They too advertised for miles along the major highways.  Remember them?  Today's billboards just have no class for the most part and are simply clutter.  But back then some admen had some real creativity and South of the Border continues to advertise uniquely for at least seventy miles north and south of their location. 

Another one of those things I have always taken for granted.



2 comments:

  1. I've stopped there before to use the bathroom and get gas, which was a supremely expensive idea. But I do usually have a good chuckle about the signs all along 95.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry Aubrey, it took some time for me to catch up with ya. Great signs, but the Burma Shaves were better.

      Delete