Thursday, June 27, 2013

JUNE 27 2013

I am working with the first 2,000 slides for later posting.  Scanning, which is going along rapidly and editing each photo along the way.  I mean it takes a lot to look this pretty!  Anyway, in a former life we lived in a little town in New Jersey called Flemington.  Flemington is smack dab in the middle of the state and is a destination city for country shoppers and goers.....actually pretty rural by New Jersey standards.  The state is really not just what you see from the Turnpike.  Despite all the rumors of bodies buried in the marshes of Secacaus.

Flemington is the town where the killer of the Lindbergh baby was tried, way before my time.  Long story short the courthouse is a tourist destination after they get tired of shopping.  This shot is one from the alley across from the court.  Just an interesting take on that historic place.


I include a wikepedia link, for those of you not alive in Jan. and Feb. of 1935 when the trial was held.  I remember it well!


2 comments:

  1. Welcome back, Skip. Missed your ramblings, and photos. I remember Flemington as the site of a state fair (I think) where my parents took us as kids to see the 4-H animals and similar country venues. Similar fairs these days are more focused on rides and games. We were lucky to have our experience back in the late 40s & 50s.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're right Anita. The South Carolina State Fair does have a large agricultural section to it and a lot of the old traditions are maintained. I do remember the fairs there at Flemington and it was a must to attend each year.

    ReplyDelete