Friday, January 8, 2010

The eighth day of the first month of the year of the Camellia


Whilst going through the files to fill a request for a publisher in upstate New York, I came across this image I made a year or so ago.

I am pretty sure that this is a photo of a rock in a stream in New Hampshire. The clarity of the water would argue for that location. It is probably a stream in the White Mountains just off the Kankamagus Highway (Rt. 12) which runs through the southern portion of the White Mountain National Forest. Spectacular country.

A trout fisherman would know that the area just in front of the rock, or upstream, is an area where the current is momentarily slack. Then the water sweeps along each side of the rock leaving another slack area just behind the rock. In fact, the current directly behind the rock actually will flow in an opposing direction to the main current. Trout will lie in such slack water spots, beside the main current, so they can pick off food coming down stream. That way they don't expend a great deal of energy holding themselves in the faster moving water.

I know, TMI (too much information).

But I like the image and now I want to go fishing. If I wait, I think I can just drop a line off the face of the rapidly developing equatorial glacier, probably somewhere in northern Florida.

No comments:

Post a Comment