Saturday, May 22, 2010

The 22nd day of the fifth month of the year of the Camellia

I STILL DON'T KNOW WHAT I WANT TO BE WHEN I GROW UP!

I am filing shots in appropriate files and came across my very large file on clouds.  Why clouds you say?  Why not?  In this age of Photo Shop we can put clouds behind any photograph.  OK!  The dirty lil secret is out.  Years ago when people were taking pictures and developing them with a hammer and coal chisel, leading photographers did the same thing.

I remember a very renowned image maker who, worked for the Baltimore Sun in Maryland, did this  for years.  When he passed, his family found thousands of slides and film of nothing but clouds.  Back they we merged photos in the dark room......today on the puter!

Looking at my cloud photos, it dawned on me that I would have loved to have been a storm chaser.  You know the kind that they have on the Weather Channel?  I would have to have been much younger, even crazier, and much more wealthy to do it with any decent results.

  But to see a water spout or a non lethal twister.  Just a rush.

   I recall when my parents had a place on the Eastern Shore of the Chesapeake, I would sit on the patio watching a storm come across the bay.  I would try to time it so that the rain would hit just about the same time I would hit the back door.  

 Instead I have to contend with what I can find, like this shot from my front yard.



Or this shot from my Son's front yard.  We actually considered going to the basement as this storm approached.  Alas, just angry sky and no violent stuff.  But, the clouds were moving very swiftly amongst themselves.



I fully intend to do more of this kind of stuff.  It makes this old heart pound and is much simpler to get the cardio-vascular workout this way.  I'll leave the tread mill for tomorrow.


No comments:

Post a Comment