Saturday, May 29, 2010

The 28th day of the fifth month of the year of the Camellia



SOME SIGHTS ALONG THE WAY

I did three miles in about an hour today on the Columbia side of the Broad River.  Not a record by any means, but pretty good for an old fart like me.  It is a spot that is about 2.5 miles of paved walkway  stuffed between a canal on the one side and a river on the other.  A lot of people, but also a lot of other things going on.  One crosses an old metal bridge over the canal to get to the walkway and it is always interesting to watch the water for any critters, like gators, wading birds, human debris, and other things that use the waterway.




The paved walkway is beautiful but heavily used and this morning was no exception.  I was able to get one shot or two sans peeps.


Normally, these long holiday weekends are difficult for me as my kids are in Maryland, Delaware, and Pennsylvania.  And I miss em.  But some other friends showed up on my walk this morning.  Notably, a red tail hawk looking for his breakfast.



This is May, hence there was a large hatching (called Hatch in fishing parlance) of May flies.  These dainty flies were all over the place landing on my hands as well as the bushes all along the way.  In the more northern clime, these types of days would be a trout fisherman's dream....not to mention the trout's dream.  Good food and a great artificial fly to have on the end of a fishing rod.  But here, the brim and a few small bass seemed to be feeding on them when they dipped to the water.



Finally, and not necessarily a friend.  This snake, I take to be a black snake, was huge.  Not so fat, but long.  That, to me, makes him a black snake and not a water moccasin.  Either way he was going in one direction, and I in the other.  And that's a good thing!



No comments:

Post a Comment