Saturday, February 8, 2014

8 Feb 14

PLAYING TOURIST

I get to be on the other side of the table next weekend.  We will be going down to Charleston to visit with old friends at the Southeastern Wildlife Exposition (SEWE).


I am delighted not to have to be scrambling all this week getting photos ready, frames made, mattes cut and advertising promos ready to partake in a three or four day show.  I did that for more years than I care to think about.


The fawn was always a big hit and "Panache" was a show stopper.  I am not sure just who of my old friends, from what I call the Circuit, will be there.  But it is always fun busting whoever.  I always enjoyed shows where the photographers were spread out amongst the painters who always displayed a certain amount of class and decorum.  While we on the other hand were just loud and boisterous.  I would say we were always the used car salesmen in a room full of button downs.  We do know how to have fun and make a 12 hour day go along a little quicker.  And some of us actually sold something.  Generally not enough to make expenses, but some.


The expenses of doing shows like SEWE or the Easton Wildlife Show in Maryland starts with just a place to stay (upwards of $200 a night) and the travel to and from.  Of course if we could find a place where they "Leave the light on for you", then expenses could be reduced somewhat.  But the framing and infra structure of a booth like mine at Easton some years ago is a big deal.  One has to do a couple of thousand just to break even.  So when I tell you that I will enjoy busting folks next week end, you kinda understand.

We always had to have some new angle to entice the customers.  For instance you can see the oval frame to the right in the above picture.  Well that was part of the antique frame phase I enjoyed.  I would go to auctions and antique stores buying up antique frames and then put my art in same.  It worked for a lot of years and I sold where others did not.


Charley Bear, from Jacksonville will most likely be at Charleston.  His wrinkle was/is to put his art on ceramic tiles.  His booth is on the left side of this photo.  I always accused him of selling kitchen utensils as he was big into back splashes and coasters.  Fantastic work but different and he sold the heck out of that stuff.  Needed an 18 wheeler to transport it though.

So instead of hustling to hustle, I will work here on line and get ready to go and enjoy as a tourist type.  

Looking forward to it and maybe I'll get an idea for a new wrinkle for my stuff!  Happy shopping y'all!







No comments:

Post a Comment