Tuesday, March 9, 2010

The ninth day of the third month of the year of the Camellia


KEY BRIDGE



This is the Francis Scott Key Bridge, over the Patapso River, just outside of Baltimore's inner harbor. Know locally as the "Key Bridge".


I made this image when only a starting photographer a hundred years ago. Back then I was fooling around with filters. That was, remember, when we still shot with film. And filters fit on the end of the lens to enhance, distort, or change the color of the image. I bought em all and used about three.


For those who don't know film. That was the way we recorded photographs with something called a camera and lens..........not a midget computer.


I was also trying to uses filters to simulate a sunset/sunrise and this is one of only two photographs in which (a) it worked and (2) it sold. The other being the Chesapeake Bay Bridge which has been shown here before. As I recall, there was an orange, tobacco, and maybe grey filter on a lens which fit something called an SLR. Not an SUV, but SLR. That is "Single lens reflect" camera, in which we used film and interchangeable lenses.

You had to know something about aperture and shutter speed (the two ends of the teeter tot). They were balanced upon a fulcrum called film speed. Ahhhh the good old days, or they don't make em like they used to, or why is everything so expensive, or what the hell is government doing anyway, or any of a dozen things that we old codgers say. I'm glad I am expected to act that way.....I earned it!

Today, its Pixels and Photoshop!








No comments:

Post a Comment