Tuesday, April 24, 2012

The 24th of the 4th

Water!

So far this morning has been devoted to chores, which means some alone time for my brain.  Generally, a bad thing but today I got to thinking of the bodies of water I have lived near, swam in, fished in, boated in and yeah probably drunk.  Did you know that 53% of the population of the US lives in the coastal counties of this country?  Now that doesn't include the lakes, river, streams and muddy ditches found in some back yards.  I guess I find my love of all places water with good reason.  Well at least I am not alone. 

I cannot stand on a dock or water side without thinking about the mystery that lies just off shore of wherever I am.


Now just look at this mountain pond.  Water clear enough to search and see stuff beneath the surface but deep enough just out of sight to conjure the Sasquatch of the deep.  Or some other description.  Along those lines, what's your opinion of the Sasquatch, any way?

  As a life long angler (that's fisherman for those of you with public educations), I cannot but wish to be sitting there contemplating life of our planet with a fly or spinning rod in my hand.  What fish lie just out of sight. 

Perhaps....

The acrobatic small mouth bass?

A dainty trout to be taken only with a fishing rod weighing five ounces or less and a fly smaller than a pencil point?

The mighty land lock salmon waiting to tear off a hundred feet of line in the first run?

Maybe a pickerel or nothern pike laying in the weeds in ambush mode?

Jeeeeeeeeeez, either I have to stop doing chores or thinking.  One or the other.  Cause now I have to walk ten blocks to go and contemplate the Congaree River.  Shame!


No comments:

Post a Comment