Monday, April 30, 2012

The 30th of the 4th

FRIVOLITIES AND SUCCESS

 A hundred years ago when I played sandlot and high school baseball, my favorite team was the
St. Louis Cardinals.  Now this was not a easy feat, being from New Jersey where one could have rooted for the New York Yankies, Da Bums the Brooklyn Dodgers, or even the New York Giants.  Could even have been the Philadelphia Phillies.  That all serves to date me, but my new (Last couple of years) best baseball friend is the Gamecocks of South Carolina.  In fact I have all but given up on pro sports.  More like the coliseum with the Lions and the Christians.  And most of those pros just don't seem to give a darn after they get their paychecks.


If you go back an look up the history of this blog, you will find that I have written about these players more than a couple three times.  This year they rank number five, but from what I saw this weekend may be a hint of "Look out Omaha"!  The swept, all three games, from Alabama. Alabama!  My most favorite team to beat in all sports.

The current Gamecocks baseball team has a bunch of clean cut no nonsense kids coached by a no nonsense coach, Ray Tanner.  No huge player salaries here.  No huge thug tattoos that one cannot read or decipher.  Hair that actually fits under a baseball cap.  And pure baseball drama every time they take the field.  For instance, Thursday night the Alabama freshman pitcher had a no hitter going into the 8th inning when the game got rained out.  I do feel sorry for the kid, freshman and all.  They finished the game on Friday night early and we won with a walk off home run given up by a relief pitcher.  One nothing final score.  Just too bad for the kid, good for us.


Then on Friday night, we went to the game, both teams scored six runs in the first inning and I said this was going to be no pitching duel..........duh.  I fore casted it to end up as an 11-9 game before it was all over.  South Carolina won it in the ninth inning (the last) with a walk off single to win it 12-11.  I was close in my predictions.  But it was a fun game to watch.  On Saturday, South Carolina beat them 9-1 for the sweep.

As an aside and update, I finally got him at the feeder tray. 


This is the Rose-breasted Grosbeak who along with another male and a female have been visiting us.  They are one of those birds that get your attention right away and you need to head to the "Sibley" guide to birds to figure out what it is you've seen.  First one I have ever seen, but the heavy seed breaking beak gave away it's type.  I'll be listing one or two on FAA, so be sure to stop in there for some really good artwork.

So here we go with another Monday morning.  A lot to do.  Have a good week!





No comments:

Post a Comment