Tuesday, November 24, 2009

The 24th day of the 11th month of the year of the OP











BARNS AND OTHER ORGANIZED PIECES OF WOOD.

On my last trip north, I decided to shot some on the northern Maryland and southern Pennsylvania border.

I was looking for something rural and unique to those areas where buildings were built with field stone and of course wood.
The bottom photo is a simple old and falling apart "Corn Crib". For the uninitiated this is where the farmer would store the ears of corn for the season. Drawing upon the crop as needed throughout the long winters. It was open enough to allow drying after harvest and rain or snow storms.

The next photo up from the bottom is just a corner where as a small child, one could hide, and conjure all kinds of games. Often a cottontail rabbit could be found in the tall grasses between and alongside the barns. If I ran too fast between these structures, my feet would tangle in the long grasses and a fall would be imminent.

The next is just a red Pennsylvania barn. Unfortunately the color is just a bit off, but that's the way they painted it. The stone wall around the outside reminds me of the one on which I walked at my grandparents farm in southern PA. That story is an earlier entry on the blog.
Finally, at the top is an old covered bridge in Chads Ford, Pa. I am not really sure why I am so found of these structures and you generally don't have the room to photograph them correctly, but they are symbols of things gone by.










No comments:

Post a Comment