Friday, March 25, 2011

The 25th day of the third month of the year of Emergence

It's Spring!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I know, tell that to some of my friends in Chicago or the Northeast.

  Winter still lingers on there.  But here-------------Ahhhhhhhhhhh!

The Azalea's and snowballs all going strong.


The new extension to the patio is complete and a lot of back breaking work is done.  At least it keeps the dogs from pee-ing right outside the door. 



In the spring, I am told, a young man's fancy turns to romance.  For an old man, not so much.  More like a vegetable garden.



A thousand years ago, in a different life, my vegetable garden measured a full acre is size.  Now for either the uninitiated or the wikipedia challenged, an acre measures a furlong long by a chain wide.  Clear?

A furlong is, I am told, 660 feet and a chain is 66 feet.  Who knew?

Of course the garden was supported by two freezers and a root cellar.  A small tractor, two barns and a farmhouse.  We had so many tomatoes that I had to make tomato juice and can it for over the winter.  What was I thinking? 

I cannot begin to tell you how good the Bloody Marys tasted in February. 

Ever eat a baked potato that you just pulled out of the ground?  No comparison!

I am a little scaled back now as you can see, but it gives me something to bend over for other than something that I accidently dropped.

Now I'll have weeds to cuss at, and not the simple act of bending over!



2 comments:

  1. When do you plant potatoes? And how much sunlight?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The planting and the harvesting are the fun part. It's the weeding in between that kills my back. The payment, I suppose. What are you planting?

    ReplyDelete