Monday, March 7, 2011

The 7th day of the third month of the year of emergence

This past trip to Washington, DC helped to get my warped mind to composing thoughts not too far from sanity (for a change).  Well, if you grew up in the fifties and early sixties sanity was a little different than today (I think).  At least my perspective of it was different.

The hotel in DC cost almost five hundred a night and a dinner at the hotel restaurant for two pushed a hundred plus without drinks and we all know what gas costs for a thousand mile drive.

I am also looking to put together a fishing trip this spring for my son and grandson.   Just a three day thing.  Maybe New Hampshire on the big lake, or perhaps Canada on the Thousand Islands, or Maine on the famed Moosehead Lake. 

The meeting of the annual "Deuces, One Eyed-Jacks and Boat Ride Club" is probably a thing of the past after 43 years, so that fishing slot is open.  I checked out a boat rental on the big lake in NH and they want over three hundred a day.  A guide who would provide a boat and a day's fishing is pushing five hundred a day.  I don't need a guide just a boat and a place to stay.  Cheapest motel looks like one ten a night.  Most likely a thousand for a three day journey consisting of two days in a car and one in a boat.  Not sure about all that.

I remember when my dad said that three bucks a week allowance was too much.  Do kids get allowances these days?  Wonder?  Do you remember getting a weekly allowance?  Always earned mine for chores.  Child labor laws never applied and I look back now and am absolutely amazed what my dad got for a lousy three bucks.  Lawn, hedge clipping, weeding the gardens, washing the car, being nice to my sister.....all for three bucks.  Now that won't even buy a gallon of gas.




It would probably cost as much today to build this covered bridge in Chadd's Ford, Pennsylvania as the mega bridge in Charleston, South Carolina.


Seems that the more things change the more some things never change, but still cost more.  I noted last night a pound of bacon at the super market cost almost seven dollars.  And the inflation is just beginning to be talked about, even though it's been happening for the past few years. Bumpy ride coming folks!

Pretty day here today though. Sixties this morning and the sun's out.  Rain yesterday cleaned everything off.  Next thing to complain about will be the pollen which should be starting soon.  But, hey the glass is still half full!

No comments:

Post a Comment