Sunday, November 25, 2012

11 26 12

"CONJURING"
 
Yesterday was one of those days when I was able to do some chores and enjoy myself.  Chores included working the Internet and social media to promote my photos and the website that I refer fondly as simply "The Galleries".  Then there were the leaves to be raked in the front. Back yard leaves will get theirs today.  For the first time in my life, this yard work is actually manageable.  I can cut the grass with a "Push me pull you" mower instead of the old John Deere riding second mortgages.  John Deere incidentally make the best lawn tractors...I have worn out three in my lifetime.  But here south of the sun, the property isn't that big and can be "Manicured" as opposed to "Mowed"

 
With the chores done, football took over.  At mid afternoon the alma mater played Wisconsin in an amazing game.  First you have to know that I was blessed to spend eight years at Penn State earning two degrees and learning how to be an alcoholic.  Ain't education grand?  This year has been a real disaster for the blue and white.  You have all read or heard of the troubles endured by the student body because of a jerk of an assistant football coach now in prison for the rest of his life. 
 
 I watched Joe Paterno coach his first game and saw Rip Engle coach, so I go back a bit with those guys.  Short version is that the current players had nothing to do with all the troubles despite the NCAA and the media trying to involve them.  And the whole thing literally killed Joe.  The players were given the chance to leave the University, and some did.  Those that stayed weren't expected to win more than a couple of games.  Long story short, they went 8 and 4, and I have never been more proud of a bunch of guys that got dealt crap and turned it into manhood.  Thank you to the players and new coach.  But not so much thanks to the University itself or the NCAA for that matter.
 
The second half I watched my adopted thugs soundly beat Clemson.  It was a good game but I had no vested irrational desires regarding either team.  It was a good game.
Then Notre Dame put together a fantastic good old fashioned goal line stand for five plays from the two yard line.  All pure football with people who don't make millions of dollars [the players] to do so.  Don't like Notre Dame much either, nor USC but then again what do I know?  I'm just a grumpy old man!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment