Tuesday, November 5, 2013

5 November 13

Fun!

If you happen to be a friend of mine on Face Book, you may have been following a discussion with my resident entomologist and all around good guy Nancy Tidy about the name of the butterflies in this photograph.


One of the most fun things I have found about this dog eat dog world of marketing one's photographic art is the effort to be accurate and complete in what we do.

A good friend of mine once told me that he "Always told the truth or as close as he could get to it"!
Well I think, as the president is increasingly finding out….not telling the truth is more trouble in the long run than doing so.  I for one have learned that lesson the hard way.  But I digress.

The collective we thinks that these are butterflies of the Pearl Crescent group.  I think that is close as I can get to it.  Well, maybe a Harris Checker Spot pair.  Another friend called them litter bugs.  Hence, the name of the piece.  I found them on the concrete of the River Walk the other day.

But my point is this.  It is fun to go and search information about all that we photograph.  Is why you will see a bit of history with each of my photographs of lighthouses.  I think it's just fun to go out and become knowledgeable about that which we study with the camera.  Don't stop with the click, click of the camera.  While that is what we all like to do the most…the fun just begins there.


Become the local knowledge center for that which we photograph and it becomes more fulfilling in our quest to fine tune our trade.

And that's the truth…or as close as I can get to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment