Saturday, November 9, 2013

Nine November Thirteen

INTREPID PHOTOGRAPHY

I took life and limb in hand again this week in order to make an image.  In the not so small town of Aiken, South Carolina lies a street covered and enveloped with old oak trees.  A great vision I thought.  This town is just about on the Georgia border and only a half hour or so away.  

First I did not know the town and have not gotten to the point to where I can actually understand how to program that lady in the box on the dashboard.  So it was with Rand McNally in hand, that I went to Aiken.  

I am sure I am guilty of this as well.  But how is it that when you go into a strange town everybody  there knows where they're going and are doing it at warp speed.  Hence, they drive right on your bumper, some blowing their horns or the tops of their heads at the old guy who hasn't a clue (me).  I have to remember that when I am out an about in my own town.  It's "Rule of the Road Number 27"!  Which reads "Get out of my way tourist"!  I know I am guilty of doing that as well, and really do have to work on my road manners.  I got the rage thing down pat!

At nine AM  the traffic in Aiken is quite similar to some of the Avenues of New York City when it comes to automobile one ups man ship.  And I want to stand in the middle of one of those streets with a tripod and a camera set at f22.  For the uninitiated that's a really small hole, f22 that is.  And it means that in dark conditions the shutter speed is slow.  Furthermore, I had to wait till traffic cleared and there were no cars around.  So this is not your normal drive by shooting.  I got the image.  I am not real proud of it, but did post the thing.


I wish you all a good weekend and to the good citizens of Aiken, if you were late to work because of some crazy photographer…I apologize.  And you have a really neat town!

3 comments:

  1. Well you got a great photo even if it was at risk of being run down in Aiken. (Driving too fast has not been my experience with the drivers of that town.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Aubrey, they were faster than me tho! Next I have to adjust the driver's seat so that I can look through the steering wheel and not over it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice shot! There is a similar stretch of A1A in Florida (north of Jupiter) where the treetops overlap the road. I love driving it.

    ReplyDelete