Wednesday, October 14, 2009

14Th day of the tenth month of the year of the OP


BEACH WEAR!

I am headed to North Wildwood, New Jersey for the NJ Lighthouse Challenge this weekend.

It's a long way with a lot of stuff in the car, but worth it to see old friends and be part of the Challenge, which I understand could be the last. We have been doing it for 10 years and have upwards of three thousand people who take the weekend to see a dozen or more lighthouse.

Unfortunately, I understand that we will be looking at a Nor'easter all weekend and this will be a first rain out the event in ten years. In the past we have had blue bird skies and great fall weather. Maybe mother nature will fools us and this stuff will blow out before Saturday.

The photograph of the Hatteras Lighthouse was taken during just such a north east blow and you can readily see the "Beach wear" or erosion that such storms create. In fact, you can see from this image just why they had to move the lighthouse inland almost a mile. Beach erosion is terrific during one of these storms. Actually more damaging than a hurricane because they normally blow for three days.

While I love the beach during a storm, I am not looking forward to reduced traffic due to bad weather heaped upon an already bad economy. But lighthouse freaks like me will spend money on their hobby regardless.
It will be fun, so put on your slickers and I will see you there Saturday and Sunday. The Hereford Inlet Lighthouse in North Wildwood, NJ. I'll be in the tent that looks like it was made with duck tape!

2 comments:

  1. Skip, be careful, have a safe trip and return with some great new images. Dan Gooch

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Dan, looks like I will be following the storm all the way up the coast.

    ReplyDelete