Monday, June 14, 2010

The 14th day of the sixth month of the year of the Camellia


FROM HUNTER GATHERS TO THIS?

OK, I never "Huntered" all that well, but have been  able to gather a bit along the way.

And the title probably has nothing to do with the rest of what I am writing today.

  This past weekend was just a warm up, so to speak, for today where we topped out at a 103 degrees.  Just love it, particularly when the air conditioning is working.

  I am also very happy to report that the AC is working on the grand old, green lady, of a Ford Explorer that I drive.  She has seen over 300,000 miles with me and I finally got her repaired after five or six sweltering years.  Only a few more modestly smaller repairs and she'll be like new.  Or like a new used car.  Sweet old lady has been with me from Maine to Florida .  But I digress!

I generally do some pretty dumb things when the weather gets to be over-bearingly hot. This weekend past was no exception.  I put in about fifty feet of board on board fence in the backyard.  Four by four posts, ten feet high, with concrete feet. A ten foot, treated, 4x4 is a heavy sucker!  Of course an eight foot long, six foot high, section of fence is not a light weight either.  Got up to 98-99 on Saturday and the century mark on Sunday.  When we get a storm, it's going to be huge!

  So you know the drill....go outside.....drive a nail or two.....back inside in front of the AC, ice tea, nap......out and drive a nail or two.  Repeat when necessary.

Two years ago, I replaced the roof on the pergola at the side of the house in 95 plus weather.  That little trick lead to a stint in my chest.  But I got er done!

  
This pergola is the entrance to our "Charleston" type side and back yard.  I just measured it and it is about 8 feet wide and 40 feet long.  The roof is transparent plastic, all nailed, glued, and sweated over.

Sooooooooo!

This year we added to the fence in the back which is now 2/3 finished.  The fencing that is.  I figured it was either fifty cents worth of shotgun shells or $800 of fencing to get rid of the two barking, junk yard, dogs next door. 

I would really have enjoyed employing the fifty cent method much more, but the resultant jail term was a little "Give it a rest ish" 

Besides I would definitely would not make a good jailhouse bride.

So we put up a fence.

It needs to be stained like the other one in back, but tomorrow it's supposed to be even hotter.


Tomorrow, I think that I will go out and help them tar a roof somewhere!

2 comments:

  1. That Charleston type side area looks wonderful....I'd love to sit there and read! Nice spot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Paula,
    It's a great place in a storm too!

    ReplyDelete