Friday, June 18, 2010

The 18th day of the sixth month of the year of the Camellia




ST. AUGUSTINE LIGHTHOUSE



I have visited St. Augustine, FL a number of times and until this last trip have been unable to photograph the lighthouse to my own liking.  The above image is probably stronger than any images of the tower itself.  This morning I got there a little earlier and the light was a bit better than on previous visits.  I love the way the Keeper's house is nestled in the Oaks and the whole place just reeks of the old south.

The light  is just a hoot n holler from the Alligator Farm, and  two shoots can be done on one trip.

I must admit that I have spent so many hours lapping at the Fountain of Youth, that I almost miss having time to do anything else. 

The light tower has proven to be difficult for a number of reasons.  First the trees all around it mask it's presence.   Then there is the fact that it is open to the general public.  Getting any lighthouse without people is always a waiting game.  First find "The Spot" and then "The Light", and then wait for the people to clear from the frame and hope that the aforementioned "Light" has not changed too much.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Augustine_Light

I have included the Wikipedia link for this light because it's history is long and a bit complicated to include here.  If you have an interest please use the above link.  The light is basically constructed to be the sister to the famed Cape Hatteras light.  The structure, while shorter here, is quite similar.


No comments:

Post a Comment