Friday, June 25, 2010

The 25th day of the sixth month of the year or the Camellia



LIVING VICARIOUSLY THROUGH THE TELEVISION


OK, so I am old enough to remember Milton Berle on a little 12 inch black and white box they miraculously called Television.  And it wasn't even one my parents owned. 

We've come a long way baby.

I do enjoy baseball on TV......I can fall asleep within an inning and half.  Except for the world series or playoffs, then they actually play baseball.  The other two million games a year is just,,,,well Blah!  I even remember our high school allowed the broad cast in the lunch room of the game that Don Larson pitched his famous perfect game.  Good stuff.  For you babies out there I watched such people as Mantle, Maris, Yogi, Martin, Mays, Musial, and Ford. 

 Can you plug in the first names?

As some of you might recall I played a little ball in High School.  Well, at least till my senior year when some girl gave me that kissing disease called mono-nuke-leousis.  About two weeks before the season started.  This would be the first season I had missed playing with the same chums/team that we ourselves put together as kids on the playgrounds of my youth.  We had no little league back then.  Just a playground league that we kids created.  And the same nine guys were unbeatable through high school. 

A tight nit nine! 

 We even had Jeff Torborg as our catcher.  Jeff played for the Dodgers, caught Sandy Koufax, and went on to manage just about every other major league team.

But as usual I digress.

Late last night sometime around midnight, the University of South Carolina Gamecocks beat the team from Oklahoma.  In twelve innings.  I had just gotten back from watching Tom Cruise in his new movie"Night and Day".  By the way I am no fan of Hollywood, but go see that movie............it is really funny and good.  Google him for the movies name, I think I got it right.....Can you see a trend here between short and long term memory?



Anyway, the "Cocks" as they are called won in the 12th and earned the right to meet the Clemson "Tigers".  Both South Carolina rivals.  They both could be eliminated with one loss and the first game of two is tonight.  I will probably fall asleep in the middle of the second inning, but hope I am somewhere near alert by the ninth.  I have no horse in this race, but this world series has produced some wonderful baseball.

Seems like a good day for a nap....just to get ready to go the whole nine innings.

No comments:

Post a Comment