Tuesday, October 5, 2010

The Fifth day of the tenth month of the year of the Camellia



THE LITTLE PEOPLE OF THE KUDZU!

Gather round kids!  Yesterday I had the chance to revisit the "Valley of the Little People of the Kudzu".  If you recall last year about this time I introduced you to the little people. 



  I remind you again that on Halloween night, the little people venture forth from their castles to prey upon unsuspecting children dressed for the night.  I guess they really don't prey on the children, but rather on the bags of goodies the kids collect.  Chocolate is their favorite.  And this is the only time of the year they venture out of their castles.  So beware!

They live in these huge castles carved from natures hand and crafted to take the shape and size of all the trees and bushes in the valley.



I am told they are only five to six inches tall and scamper around under the green canopy, and up and down the leafy spires all day long.  I personally have not seen of them, but have heard them hard at work.  I have assured by people in the know, that they really do exist.  I also have been confronted and threatened by their confidante and protector.................Mr. Mocker.


There must be a symbiotic relationship (I know kids it is a big word which basically means you scratch my back and I'll scratch yours). The little people  keep their castles clean as a whistle.  That means they shoo away all the bugs and little lizards.  That gives Mr. Mocker a chance to dine (I know that's another big word, but it just means to eat).

   In return, Mr Mocker keeps watch over the little people and warns them of danger.  That's what he is doing with what's called a wing flash.  He is the only bird known for this behavior, so it must have been learned from the little people.  I mean where else would he learn such a thing?

All of Mr. Mocker's children learn of this behavior at a very young age and are trained in the ways of the little people.


So even at an early age they learn "The Look" which tells people and larger animals to stay away from the Castles.



Even in their teen years, the mocking birds display a feisty attitude.  All in training so that one day they may sit upon the watch tower tree in the valley.



Whereby, you may see the only evidence of the "Little People of the Kudzu".  He's watching you.  It's their protector, and that's how we know they are really there, and not our marauding our Halloween bags.






No comments:

Post a Comment