Saturday, February 2, 2013

2 2 13

 
Astoundings!
 
No, it's not a word so all you English teachers unwad your panties.  I can't spell nor am I any more interested in being grammatically correct than politically correct.
 
I have no photographs of a "Raven"!  Some fan I am!  I also have no images of a "49'er", and that is even more astounding.  I means some would say that I was alive during that era.  As some of you know, I am a huge college football fan but not so much for the pros.  In fact, I have never been too interested in the super bowl with the one exception of the Joe Namath win a hundred years ago.  The Jets won and I do have a photo of a jet or two.  The real ones with the wings and stuff.  But I guess given my fifty years on the "Shore" (Eastern Shore that is for the uninitiated) makes me interested in this one SB coming up tomorrow.  The fact that the competing coaches are brothers just adds to the drama.  So tomorrow, I will be joining a hundred million of my closest friends in cheering on Edgar Allen's Raven.
 
You see, I do have a life.  Other than behind the cameras or in front of the puter, and can fake sports aplomb along with the best of em. "Aplomb", that's a Bill O'Reilly word....go look it up. 
 
Since this is the first time writing in a few days, I bet you can guess I will be working in the office today.  The past week has been consumed with a lot of home chores spent away from the office and not too productive of the biz.  January was a decent month sales wise being considerably stronger than a year ago. It dropped off about mid month and while revenues were stronger, sales were down.

I am still not too trusting of the economy, but then art has it's own economy to a certain extent.  But when folks don't know where the next mortgage payment is going to come from, they certainly aren't going to buy much of my stuff.

I have added a couple of new galleries and some new images which I hope you all find interesting.  The Lemur photos in the Critters gallery were taken at our local zoo and while I would have loved to photo them in the wild....it is what it is.  A photo of the animal...a good representative of the species.

 
I am also in the process of building the "Historic Lighthouse Images" gallery.  Most of the photographs there will be scans of old postcards out of copyright because of their age.  I hope that the comparison of these old images to some of my newer pictures will provide you lovable old lighthouse freaks (like me and don't take offense with the term) with historic relevance.
 
A number of the postcards I am using have messages on them, and can be dated with the accuracy of a postal cancellation and that is an easy way to date the image.  Others can be dated only by the type of card manufactured.  The table below will give you an idea as to how that is done.  As you can see certain types of cards were published only during certain time periods.
 
POSTCARD LEGEND
  
1890 TO 1900
PIONEER TYPE
 
1900 TO 1907
UNDIVIDED BACK OF THE CARD
 
1908 TO 1918
DIVIDED BACK OF THE CARD
 
1920 TO 1932, 1934
WHITE BORDER ON THE CARD
 
1935 THRU 1950’S
LINEN PAPER TYPE ERA
 
1950’S AND ON
CHROMES (OR PHOTOGRAPHS)
 
ZIP CODES
 
1950’S STARTED 2 DIGIT
 
1963 STARTED THE FIVE DIGIT

 
 
Maybe I will be able to come up with something for Valentine's day more appropriate than the tigers at the Philadelphia zoo.  Like "Love is in the air" or some other dumb quote like that.  Have a great weekend my friends and we'll see ya on the flip side.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment