Monday, January 12, 2009

The 12th day of the year of the Owl Pellett


I did my obligatory three miles on the River Walk today. It started out around the low thirties this morning so I waited till later in the day when it was closer to sixty. Hey, I'm old and don't have to take all those low temperatures anymore. Not cranky, just old.

Met with my friend the local policeman (cop) who patrols the River Walk on a choice of one of three atv's or an electric car. I think that the town has too much money! His attitude towards his work just made me think about how we all ought to conduct our daily business. John is retired from some meaningful profession and works for the Cayce police force just to keep busy, get out of the house, and or to pay some bills. However, he is always cheerful and has a story for me whenever we meet. He doesn't work particularly hard as in plowing the fields, milking the the cows, selling insurance, etc. But he does work smart and knows how to make his day pass quickly. Sure he has a micro-managing bunch of bosses but that is to be expected, he works for a bunch of politicians for crying out loud.

Our meeting served to remind me of just how one is expected to conduct his business. He stops to talk with everybody along the way on the walk, knows us all, is interested in what we are doing, and is just a generally all around good guy. The point is though--------he knows what's going on down there all the time. He knows who belongs and who does not. He has fun but is deadly serious about protecting the public. He cuts off problems at the pass and as a result has it under control for the most part. And he does it in a way that entertains himself and others during the day. He does it all in a friendly, serving, fun way. I need to remember that when I am talking next to my customers. I think that his example that will keep me in good stead long term. What am I talking about long term, I don't buy green bananas. With my growing business,I should pay attention to John's example. I will be more successful and have more fun at the same time.

The river's down again. Not at normal levels but down probably 15 or 16 feet in the last day or so. Even though I walked later in the day than usual, the regular group of songbirds were in full voice. The cardinals flew ahead of my walk and are always just one step out of camera range...how do they know? The irascible mocking birds get into camera range but I end up with thousands of images of them, cause their so easy. In fact I had one published last year. The carolina wrens make the leaves rustle just enough to stop me for a look. They do it every time, I think just for fun to watch me stop and then flit away. The ruby head kinglets were darting around. Their movement is the easiest way to find them because they are so small. Smaller, or at least equal to, the size of a chickadee. I include one of the digitally improved images of a little kinglet I made last year.

No comments:

Post a Comment