Monday, January 26, 2009

The 26th day of the year of the owl pellett




A wise man once said that "I'd rather be ignorant than dumb, because I would be able to tell the difference". Another wise man added "I'd rather be smart than ignorant because I would have enough information to process it." And the wisest of all said "I'd always want to be lucky rather than smart, because a higher power was looking out for me."

Well, today I got a little bit of all three. Smart, not ignorant, and dumb lucky! Yesterday on the Riverwalk I thought I saw a flock of Cedar Waxwings perched in the tree tops. They were impossible to identify by color because of the back lighting of the sky. But today, I looked for the kind of stuff they love to feed upon, found a Buckthorn tree loaded with fruit, and low and behold 75 to a 100 migrating waxwings. These guys are a temporary lot here in South Carolina because this is part of their winter range. Eventually they will reach as far North as the Canadian Provence's. The coloration is wild with a bright red band on the wings and equally bright yellow band on the tip of the tail. The body itself is a golden brown to brownish yellow. The deep black and bright white mask around the bill and eyes gives the bird the ability to look very threatening when looking directly at you. It is always a treat for me to find something which is somewhat out of the ordinary and even more of a treat to be able to photograph it. Enjoy what I saw.

No comments:

Post a Comment