Tuesday, January 13, 2009

13th day of the year of the owl pellet


This morning was 44 degrees at 9:00 am and not supposed to get much over fifty, so the walk was more obligatory than not. Grey sky and showers were supposed to be coming. Hasn't happened yet but all the folks on the RW were regulars there doing their walk on some imagined/required medical or health agenda. Me, I walk for health but also to see stuff and take pictures of stuff, yada, yada, yada. Thank you Sienfeld! I don't know how I missed it before but there is this huge sycamore along the walk that must have been there for thousands of years or maybe hundreds. My wingspan is about six feet and it would have taken three hugs for me to get my arms around it. The image today is of that tree.

At any rate, a retired couple I see almost daily came by as I was standing under the tree. His comments were "I thought you were fixin to climb it"! Being witty and a man "tomorrow repartee", I said "no, but there were people who would pay good money to see me fall out of it if I tried". "Tomorrow repartee" is that thing to say in response, that you think of tomorrow, which you wished you had thought of today and didn't.

The conversation did get me to thinking of "Southern speak". "Fixin" to do something is definitely southern. I know cause I spent most of my life in a border state and heard both sides of the argument. A "Border State" is a place where the Civil War never ended and never will. Each side are good friends but "Fixin" to fight and win it all over again.

Miriam Webster does not define "Fixin" unless you add an "s" and then it becomes fixings as in turkey dressing. Well I am sure the man did not mean "I thought you were turkey dressing that tree." Add a "g" to it and he might have meant "I thought you were repairing that tree". Again not the meaning. I guess in falls in the the "Yall" (plural of you) of southern speak. As in "Yall fixin ta use that pin?" Funny, I guess I will just have to ask my friend Jesse who grew up in the south and had an owl and fox as pets. Another story! I still buy tars for my car, change the earl, and am supposed to be retard!

No comments:

Post a Comment