Thursday, September 12, 2013

12 September 2013

"On the road again"

I think that it was Charles Kuralt who made that term famous with books and a TV show back when times were a little different.  He wrote a few books and broadcast about trips he took across the country.  Back town roads and hamlets.  The people who made those places he visited.  It was an interesting concept that made a lot of followers.  Good reading and good viewing.

 There also was a book written by William Least Heat-Moon and entitled "Blue Highways" about a guy who traversed the country using only the "Blue Highways" on the map.  The roads less travelled if you will.  Small communities with little and unique country stores.



  I would love to do what they did, but it will unfortunately be in the next life or the here after.  Just like I would love to have been a meteorologist.  Or Bill Gates!  But somewhere along the line I actually realized that I would become none of the above.  Big relief to me that!

But in looking back at my photo library (that I am still organizing and digitizing), I guess I can say that I have travelled some of the same paths.  For that I am blessed and grateful.

All that as an introduction to my next road trip.  Next week I will be going to the Joisey Shore for a high school reunion.  There will probably be a story or two about this zombie apocalypse or gathering of the almost dead.  Now if any of you are reading this, don't take that the wrong way.  I'm right in there with ya!  On the other hand I don't care if you do or not.  It's simply my way of saying that we are all getting seasoned but in our case enjoying it and having fun along the way.  And for those of you who are recluses Joisey means New Jersey!

And no we don't talk like that.

Anymore!

I grew up in a mid sized town called Westfield which was a bedroom town to New York City.  Fathers commuted by train into the big city.  Mothers kept house and worked the many charities and hospitals in the area.  Fathers played golf on the weekends.  Kids for the most part took College Preparatory classes in High School.

A whole bunch of leave it to Beaver and Brady bunch families.  Sure there were working families who were mostly local merchants and such.  But the kids were pretty much all the same regardless of their parents perceived positions in life.  The cobblers son dated the CEO's daughter and everybody was pretty cool with that.

We had a great high school class of somewhere around 250 if I remember correctly.  It was a fun time.  Fun people and activities.  I can still smell the leaves burning in the streets on football weekends.  Yup, that was back when we all polluted the world with our little piles of inconsideration for the planet.  On any fall Saturday we just increased the temperature of the globe by at least three degrees.  Can still smell it in my olfactory imagination.

It will be fun to see some old friends and retell old stories and lies.  I do look forward to it.




No comments:

Post a Comment