Sunday, May 27, 2012

Twenty year celebration

A TWENTY YEAR CELEBRATION

I made this image in 1992,  the year I stopped using the smokes.  I remember that I kept the Marlboro man in business single handidly for at least 18 years.  Well it seemed that way at least.  I think I was up to three packs a day and could not complete a whole sentence on the telephone without coughing.  At today's prices I just could not imagine the cost of that addiction.  And I could never understand how other people could react to the smoke I was putting out.  Just their problem I figured.  Today, I have an appreciation for that attitude, but try to keep it under control by simply walking away from a situation where someone is still smoking.  I'm sure not going to change the world!  But if you're doin it, you need to quit and or don't start.......it's not cool and it will kill ya.  Now booze on the other hand..........well that's another story.

Remember to click on the photo for a better resolution.



It was 1972 and the lighthouse had not yet been moved away from the cliffs and the whole scene was simply breath taking.  This is the South East light on Rhode Island's famed Block Island.  I spent the better part of a week walking the cliffs of this island alone because I knew my demeanor was ten times worse than normal.  And my normal is probably a little worse than the rest of the world.  I really did not want to leave a wife and two kids murdered on those cliffs, but my withdrawal sure did lead to some dark thoughts.  And my wife was withdrawing form cigs as well.  She went cold turkey and I used the patch.  She snuck out behind the barn and I did not.  We both quit but it was an interesting week to say the least.  Talk about adding fuel to the flames, but all ended well!

No comments:

Post a Comment