Friday, January 18, 2013

1 18 13

A New Gallery
 
When I started photographing lighthouses, I also started to collect lighthouse postcards.  I kept eBay in business during their early years.  The only mistake I made was not buying their stock when they went public.  Some capitalist/evil investor I am!
 
During those early years in the 1990's I would buy postcards and scan them into files on the computer, wait a period of time and sell them back.  So, the cost of the digital collection is probably pretty close to zero.  I also sold 5x7's of my own photos and was doing pretty well.  Of course, eBay was new and I was new and made all the rookie mistakes.  Long story short, I have a pretty extensive library of old postcards.  Lighthouse and otherwise.  You will begin to see them listed now on Fine Art America as another type of wall art available to you.  It's fun to see the old image with the old clothing, old paint on the towers, and old settings around each light.

 
 
The above is one of my images taken of the lighthouse at New London Harbor in Connecticut around 1980.  If you look closely at my image, the covered walkway from the keeper's house to the tower still remains.  In New England a great number of the houses had these walkways because of the very cold and snowy winters.  Made getting to the tower in the dead of night during a blizzard so much easier.  This is now a private home with a dozen warning signs along the street to "Keep Off"!  I can understand the owner's need for privacy and took my pictures from the middle of the adjacent street which is legal but limiting in nature.
 
The one below is from a post card made between 1908 and 1918. 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment