Thursday, March 7, 2013

ANOTHER DIRECTION

 
A friend posted a picture of RR track with the caption "It can be lonely going in both directions".  I guess the whine of a train whistle in the middle of the night can suggest that caption, but the above is simply a RR station with no activity.  Why?  Well, it's the Strasburg train station in Amish country of Lancaster County, Pennsylvania and it's closed.  Simple explanation without any of the anquish, redemption or promise of that train whistle.  In fact as I write this a whistle just went off at a crossing a half mile away.  I've gotten used to that but it took a while, never having a track in virtually my back yard.  Well, not quite but close enough.  With two major stone quarries within two miles, there is a lot of traffic and they must blow the whistle at every road crossing.....hence that agreeably lonely sound. 
 
I still get the same feelings when a flock of geese go over.  They chatter to each other constantly whether it be while feeding in a field, sitting on the water or flying overhead.
 

I guess if I lived out west, in Canada or Alaska...the howl of a wolf or coyotes would yield that same feeling.  Haunting perhaps but probably not lonely.  Sorry, no wolf photos.  Now this is lonely!

 
A friend of mine once said "There but for the Grace of God go I". 
 
So far I've been able to avoid that problem so I just keep looking for the Holy Grail of photographs.  Maybe this one will do the trick.
 

Sure hope so.  I have had lots of hits or views of this photo of Race Point and great comments.  But no buyers yet.  It did take a good while for the Barnegat one to catch on and it has been selling like crazy.  Maybe Race Point will take off as well.  It has all the elements.  Or perhaps the little light on Portland Breakwater that I just listed.  We'll just have to wait to see.

 
Want an accent for a barren wall somewhere?  Perhaps the new "Things Mechanical" Gallery will hold that magic item.
 
 



 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment