Sunday, March 10, 2013

Must be spring!

Feet hit the floor (Thank you Lord), clock said 10:30 (but I know it's really 9:30) and that inside/outside temperature thingy says 72 degrees.  Now I know somebody other than Washington is a liar!
 
Well, maybe not.  Both dogs wanted out at the same time this morning.  Twice!  So their junk must not be freezing.  Re: the time---- all my computer stuff (two computers, two space age phones,a Kindle and a Nook) say the time has changed and I did set the clocks ahead last night (manually).  So that must be true too.  It does feel warm outside even to me and these old bones and thin blood.  What! Washington isn't lying?  Naw! Three outa four ain't bad Jack!
 
Sold a couple of pics this weekend and that's OK.  One of them as recorded here was a sepia tone image of Nobska and both images were lighthouses.  So the product identification thing and name recognition gadget seems to be working. 
 
I will be listing these two later this morning and we'll see how they will be received.  The first is Charleston Harbor lighthouse in Sepia.  Might have to tweak that a bit more.

 
The other is another outer banks image, this time of Cape Lookout and is a composite of the original image and some more dramatic sky.
 
 
To give you non photographers what I mean by composite.  This is the color version of the above sepia tone.
 
 
And the original image before the sky was added and other adjustments were made.
 
 
Fairly ghastly huh!
 
Such manipulation turns some people off.  And purist photographers give me a raft of stuff as to it not being true photography.  Even though all the photos are mine!  Well folks, news flash....I am not in this business for the ego!  Probably have enough of that anyway.  The question for me is which one do you want to hang on your wall?  Probably the color version, but the sepia is a strong second in the "I want it, gotta have it" contest.
 
You see, I discovered a long time ago that contests bring nice atta-boys but the true test comes when the victim plunks down a wad of cash and then says "I love it".  That's the acid test.  And I much prefer to post the "I just sold" announcements over the "I just came in third" listing.  So get to work folks!
 
Don't get me wrong, I really, really, greatly, seek, hope for and love the comments about my art work.  We all thrive on recognition.  So keep those love letters coming because they do give the ego a boost and make me want to refine my craft and show more and different parts of my art. 
 
In my not so humble opinion (again it's my blog), photography changed with the advent of the affordable home computer, printer and digital camera.  No doubt about it.  Now we photographers do not simply have to be outstanding at the craft of picking the subject, picking the equipment and film, picking the right moment with the right light, and then choosing the development of the film.  That's not enough.
 
  Now we still have to do all that as well as be proficient in computer-eeeze, photo shop or comparable, packaging and marketing.............and just being an all around nice person in communications.  That last one is a real challenge to me. 
 
After all that we have to find a venue in which to attract customers.  For instance, Fine Art America alone boasts of having over 100,000 artists listed on their site.  That is real competition for a little old single owner company like mine with only two dogs and two cockatiels for employees.  I wonder if I can convince the IRS that I employ four?  Probably.
 
Let's see....McGee (The chihuahua) is VP in charge of pee breaks.  Hell, his bladder is only the size of a walnut.  Missy (the cocker/border collie mix) is VP  in charge of herding the security alarm system, McGee, and me.  The two birds (cockatiels) ARE the very annoying  security alarm system and don't have titles as they are the peon workers in this not so benevolent dictatorship.
 
Jeeeeeeeezz, I didn't know I was doing all that for 10 or 12 hours a day.  Dang, in the immortal words of Terry Bradshaw..........Ain't ah purty!
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment