Saturday, August 17, 2013

17 AUGUST 2013

Good Saturday morning all.

  It's still raining and the temperatures are in the mid sixties here.  Whatever happened to the week, I mean it was Monday an hour and a half ago.  At this rate I'll be in my mid nineties by next Tuesday......or so it seems.  It's that old time bridge I guess.


No sooner do we get on it than it seems we're at the other end and the older we get the faster the darn thing goes.  I have had some nice comments on some of the new stuff I have been listing and that is gratifying, but the work is grinding on.  I still have 1800 images in the general populations to edit and post for the most part.  Almost five hundred lighthouse images scanned with a third more to finish in that category and probably another thousand or so of the waterman category to scan, edit and post.

Next month I'll be on the road for a few days traveling to the upper Jersey Shore for a hundred and fifty fifth high school reunion.  Going with mixed emotions but it will be fun to see some of you there.  Then again to NJ in mid October with Sheri to the Lighthouse Challenge at Hereford Inlet Lighthouse.  I'll probably make some images on each trip.  In the mean time it's more computer work, a few local shoots and the big prep for the October show.

My newest lighthouse scam on the site is an image of the West Quoddy Lighthouse in Maine.  I can just feel the atmosphere changing in this image.  I made this photograph in early May and the temperatures were somewhere in the mid forties with about zero humidity.  Great New England weather and almost breath taking when you get the first whiff in the morning of that bracing air.  The offshore front coming in started to quickly raise the humidity level, but not the temperature.



West Quoddy is a very distinct candy striped light on the easternmost mainland point of the United States.  This lighthouse was built in 1858 and is a cast-iron structure overlaid with brick.  The first structure here was built in 1808 was was a rubble masonry tower.  The second light was built in 1850 and quickly became unstable and was replaced with the current tower. A visit here is a must and lighthouse aficionados can find an added benefit in some spectacular ocean views.  Truly the main coast with a long pathway extending along the cliff like stone escarpments on the left of this image.  

I need to get back up into that part of the country again before I take my dirt nap.  Maine is rugged on the coast and just as rugged inland.  And when one gets north of all the population centers it is just plain wilderness.  Good stuff!  Have a great weekend all.




No comments:

Post a Comment