Wednesday, August 7, 2013

7 AUG 2013

Good Morning Hump Day!

Prayers for a friend of my who just lost her mother.  That's a tough time.  Hi to my kids and grands when something like that happens and you think of your own.

On a lighter tone, we had the opportunity to eat a Birthday dinner at Ruths Crist steak house last night.  A big thank you to my kids for the gift cards.  And another candle on the cake of my better half.  I honestly did not think that two people could eat two hundred fifty dollars worth of food at one sitting.  A week's worth of groceries maybe, but one sitting.  I will say that the food was outstanding and the service perfect.

We had our usual weekend guest last weekend and partook of the time to go to some things we normally would not partake in.  Like a Gun and Knife show for instance.  I was stunned to see how prices have risen for all that stuff in the last three years.  Kinda glad that we are fully weaponized at this point.  Although I think that I would like a light long rifle such as a twenty two, but we'll wait and see.  Ammunition prices are through the roof or I'm just old and can only remember the good old days.  Yep, that must be it.  But $35 plus dollars for 38 caliber bullets is steep.  Judging by the number of people standing shoulder to shoulder to buy all that stuff, the law of supply and demand rules.

Last Sunday we strolled the RW in the West Columbia stretch.  What I call the top section of the walk.  Just to show you the size and power of this river, at this point the Saluda, I include this photograph.  A few hundred yards down river it joins the Broad River to form the Congaree.


These guys somehow, some way got sideways to what was happening and turned their little John Boat over earlier in the morning.  We passed by just in time to see them trying to sort out their belongings.  I guess they were trying to turn the thing back over, but that is one powerful creek when it wants to get angry.  Moral to the story again is don't mess with mom nature.  She wins every time.  At least that's what my Mom use to say.


The river was still up and we seem to be getting enough afternoon rains to keep it there.  Yesterday it rained most of the afternoon.  Not in buckets, but more like pint sized cans.  I was actually able to keep the window next to my desk open, so it was rather enjoyable.

Business continues to crank along with July being about average or maybe a little above.  A couple of wholesale orders helped out, but now it's August and you know what that means.  Yeah, we start all over again.  Sold Thomas Point last night and that helps.

Happier than a "Camel on Hump Day"!




No comments:

Post a Comment