Wednesday, August 28, 2013

28 AUGUST 2013

UH-OH

Guess what day it is!

Mike, Mike, Mike.....what day is it?

OK, it's getting trite already.

  I truly thought it was Monday.  Last weekend we actually went on a road trip and acted like semi tourists right here in South Carolina.  We started out with a car show in Irmo, a small town a bit north west of here.  There must have been 200 cars there and I did get some postable images which was just fine.  BYW spell check says there is no such word as postable.  Sure there is, I just used it!

This was my first car in 1958.  OK, you do the math...I was 17!


A '51 Ford coupe I bought for $200 and it looks almost the same.  Except mine was metallic green.  A hot color for the time.  This one is for sale....$60,000 !!!

What the Heck was I thinking.  All those cars we had along the line and today they are worth more than some new cars.

Boy those were the days.  You could take the engine apart without a PHD in computer science and all you did was get a little dirty.  I can't begin to tell you the amount of money in that parking lot that day.  It just boggles the mind.  

Then we saw this as we headed out of town on our way along one of the back roads to a little town called Newbury.


I owned three of these!  If I had two cents and any sense, I should go back and buy that thing and rebuild it.  Alas, I got the sense by not the cents.

Newbury's claim to fame is the Opera House!  They get some top of the line shows there and it really is a quaint town.  As far as down town was concerned on a Saturday after noon------Not so much.  We saw one or two antique shops open and one restaurant, which was good.  I actually ate something called Dill Pickle soup.  I know it sounds strange and was.  But it was really good.  Most of the rest of the stores were closed.  Huh?  Saturday?


Stay tuned!  I'll write if I get work!





No comments:

Post a Comment