Saturday, July 6, 2013

July 6 2013

I will refrain from using the much maligned jokes about building the ark.  And "It's rained so much that".......one liners.  Probably all of my east coaster buddies have heard em all in the past couple of weeks.  It has rained a bunch down here and even the mushrooms in the front yard have mold growing on em.

I put in a bunch of hours yesterday culling old slides, scanning them, cleaning the images and making new files that you all will see in the weeks to come.  I don't know the actual count of photo, but it will take the rest of the year to get them all posted.  Probably four or five thousand.

The dogs, actually only Mcgee, wake me around seven each morning wanting to go out, eat and play.  Nice dogs and of course the two birds will also get into the act unless I cover their cage with blankets in an attempt to convince them that it is still dark outside and they really should be asleep because their flock leader (me evidently) will feed their sorry butts to a higher level in the food chain if they aren't quiet.  And on and on it goes!

I ran across one of my father's old slides in this culling process which reminded me of his early education of his only son.  He taught me, and my son, how to work.  One summer he arranged for me to join a travelling maintenance crew for the Borden Company's New York region.  In fact in High School and College I worked for them twice.  The afore mentioned crew and in College I worked as the sales rep for them in 1964 at the World's Fair on Long Island in New York.  I wrote my Master's Thesis on what effected milk sales at the fair.  Low and behold it was found that the higher the attendance the higher were the sales.  Duh!  Well there's a no brainer and I had to spend the entire summer to learn that.  Oh well it beat going to Nam!


The farmers are delivering their days milk in those cans you see on the belt going into the plant.  It was at this plant in Watertown, NY that I learned just what made that glass bottle of milk the guy delivered to the back door every other morning back at home.  And chocolate milk really doesn't come from brown cows.  I also learned how work all day long at physical labor just so I could go back to the boarding house and sleep, then do it all over again the next day.  Not much play that summer.  I would leave home on Sunday night, drive to the group foreman's house to meet the crew on Monday morning early and make the drive to upstate. Then back again on Friday night.  I might have been able to go out Saturday night....maybe.  I was sure glad to see school start again in September.

  God Bless him.  I miss him.  He was a good man!  And I should have listened more closely!


No comments:

Post a Comment