Tuesday, October 8, 2013

8 October 13

Morning all.

  Welcome to the day before shoot a camel day! We actually had some rain last night and a little yesterday.  It was much needed.   Warm though here south of the sun!

I have been posting some of the images made at the Cayce Blue Grass Festival and must admit that some of the pictures look pretty good.  And a couple have gotten decent reviews.


Lighthouses still seem to be the seller category bringing in the bacon.  And for that I am eternally grateful.  The latest one yesterday of a light on Block Island.


"This image of Nubble Lighthouse in York, Maine will be going onto the site later today.  Such an amazing spot to see.  One can view the Nubble, or island, upon which the house is perched from a huge parking lot overlooking a rocky escarpment on the mainland.  I just wish I could be there during a North Easter.  That would be something to see. 

 I wrote a little history about the light some years ago when I was selling small prints on eBay.

"This light was built on a rock just off shore at York, Maine in 1879.  An interesting cable car built for one or two people at most, runs from the parking lot to the “The Nubble” or rock upon which the light was built.  This is the evidently the only way for people and supplies to reach the light.

President Hayes signed the order providing the huge sum of $15,000 that was spent on building this lighthouse, not a small amount in 1879.  The tower is short, only forty feet, but the elevation on the rock is over 80 feet above sea level.  An interesting part of the architecture displayed in this image is the walkway from the keepers house to the tower itself. Obviously, this is a requirement where the winter weather is so inclement from time to time that protection is needed just to reach the tower.  New England farms were also built with this feature connecting the barn and house.  This feature is also seen at a number of the other Maine lights." 


The Fall Gallery is filling up and I will be starting a winter one before too long.  Anything to make it easier to navigate the web site.  Still have some scanning to do and thousands of images to edit and post.  All that is not going to get done this year.  I think that I was a little over optimistic earlier when I said that I would like to be finished this year.  As it is I have over 1600 image posted and have had almost 270,000 visitors.  All that makes me happy, happy, happy!

We made reservations at a B & B for the 19th and 20th up in North Wildwood.  Now I'll have to do a thousand worth of business just to break even in lodging.  Not sure that's going to happen, but it's for a good cause.

Y'all have a good day now!

No comments:

Post a Comment